Planning on spending 4 days in Switzerland and looking for the ultimate itinerary to guide the way? Keep Reading!
Switzerland is the perfect place to visit for travelers of all types. With its stunning old towns, lush nature, and deep history, there is something for everyone. Although there are many places you can visit and routes you can take while visiting Switzerland, this itinerary takes you through some of the best and most beautiful places in Switzerland in just 4 short days.
Switzerland is a magical country known for its pristine nature, huge mountains, and old cities. It is the perfect place to visit if you want to experience one of Europe’s most beautiful countries. In just 4 days you can see some of the highlights of Switzerland, but more time is always better! This 4 day itinerary brings you through cities, nature and more so you can get the full Swiss experience.
Prepare to fall in love with this beautiful country and enjoy your 4 days in Switzerland.
(Disclaimer: Some links in this post may be affiliate links, meaning if you click on the link and make a purchase, I receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you and you may even receive a small discount. See disclosure for more information.)
4 Days in Switzerland
- Day 1: Land in Zurich
- Day 2: Drive 45 minutes from Zurich to Lucerne
- Day 3: Drive 1 hour from Lucerne to Interlaken
- Day 4: Drive 2.5 hours from Interlaken to Geneva
This is a very packed 4 days in Switzerland but will show you the highlights of the country. If you want to avoid moving around every day I suggest driving straight from Zurich to Interlaken and enjoying two days in Interlaken. Interlaken is one of the most naturally beautiful places on Earth and the surrounding villages will have you awe-struck.
Day 1: Zurich
Zurich is the best place to start your 4 days in Switzerland. It is the largest city in Switzerland and one of the most important financial centers in the world. The city is known for its picturesque old town, which features cobblestone streets, historic buildings, and numerous museums and galleries. It is also home to several universities, leading research institutes, and a thriving arts and culture scene.
Zurich is a popular tourist destination, offering visitors a wide range of attractions, including world-class shopping, dining, and nightlife, as well as outdoor activities such as hiking and skiing in the nearby mountains.
There are plenty of things to do and see here and with only one day in Zurich, you can see quite a bit, but unfortunately not everything. The rest of this 4-day itinerary covers some more nature-focused days, so spending your time in Zurich exploring the old town and the historical and cultural city is best.
Things to do in Zurich
- Stroll through the historic old town: Zurich’s Altstadt (old town) is full of winding cobblestone streets, historic buildings, and charming cafes and shops. Be sure to check out landmarks like the Fraumünster Church, Grossmünster Church, and Lindenhof Hill.
- Visit the Swiss National Museum: This museum is home to an impressive collection of Swiss art, history, and culture, from prehistoric times to the present day.
- Take a boat ride on Lake Zurich: Lake Zurich is a picturesque lake in the heart of the city, offering stunning views of the surrounding mountains. Take a boat ride or rent a paddleboat to explore the lake and enjoy the scenery.
- Explore the Kunsthaus Zurich: This art museum houses a vast collection of modern and contemporary art, including works by Swiss artists like Alberto Giacometti and Ferdinand Hodler.
- Enjoy Swiss chocolate: Zurich is known for its delicious chocolate, so be sure to visit some of the city’s top chocolate shops like Confiserie Sprüngli or Teuscher to try some of the best chocolate in the world.
Day 2: Lucerne
Lucerne is located just 45 minute drive from Zurich making it the perfect place to spend your second day during your 4 days in Switzerland. It is a picturesque city in central Switzerland, located on the shores of Lake Lucerne and surrounded by the Swiss Alps. The city is known for its beautiful old town, which features colorful buildings, narrow streets, and historic landmarks like the Chapel Bridge and the Water Tower.
It is one of the most magical cities in Switzerland and a wonderful place to explore! Both city and nature lovers will enjoy Lucerne due to its close proximity to mountains, water, and the city, meaning whatever your preferences you can enjoy them fully. With its stunning scenery, charming old town, and wide range of cultural and outdoor activities, Lucerne is a popular tourist destination in Switzerland.
- Visit the Chapel Bridge and the Water Tower: These iconic landmarks are among the most famous attractions in Lucerne. The Chapel Bridge is a covered wooden bridge that dates back to the 14th century, and the Water Tower is a historic tower that served as a prison and watchtower in the past.
- Explore the Old Town: Lucerne’s Old Town is a charming and picturesque area with colorful buildings, narrow streets, and beautiful squares. It’s a great place to stroll around, shop for souvenirs, and enjoy local food and drinks.
- Take a boat tour of Lake Lucerne: Lake Lucerne is a stunning lake surrounded by the Swiss Alps. A boat tour is a great way to explore the lake and enjoy the breathtaking scenery.
- Visit the Swiss Museum of Transport: This museum is one of the most popular attractions in Lucerne and features exhibits and displays related to transportation, technology, and mobility. It’s a great place to learn about the history of transportation and see some impressive vehicles and machines.
- Take a day trip to Mount Pilatus or Mount Rigi: Lucerne is a great base for exploring the surrounding mountains. Mount Pilatus and Mount Rigi are two of the most popular mountains in the region and offer stunning views of the Swiss Alps.
- Visit the Lion Monument: This famous monument is a sculpture of a dying lion and was created to commemorate the Swiss soldiers who died during the French Revolution.
- Try Swiss chocolate and cheese: Switzerland is famous for its chocolate and cheese, and Lucerne has plenty of shops and restaurants where you can try some of the best Swiss food.
Day 3: Interlaken
A very scenic one-hour drive from Lucerne is Interlaken! This is a traditional Swiss resort town located inside the picturesque mountains typical of Switzerland. This is one of the most beautiful and breathtaking places in Switzerland that you see in magazines. Interlaken is built on a small area of land between huge mountains and between Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. It is one of the best villages in Switzerland too!
This is the perfect place to visit for nature and adventure travel lovers looking to enjoy the lush nature of Switzerland. It is also a top place for any traveler as even without hiking or skiing you can enjoy this stunning destination. I find Interlaken an interesting place to visit, but even more so the villages and sights beyond Interlaken are true draws like Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen!
Things to do in Interlaken
- Top of Harder Kulm: Seeing Interlaken from above is easily one of the top things to do while here. Heading to the top of Harder Kulm can be done via hiking or by funicular. At the top, the elevation is 1322 meters and the views are beyond stunning.
- Lake Brienz: Lake Brienz is a stunning aqua-blue lake sitting in Interlaken that is surrounded by snow-capped mountains. A visit here will show you the true natural beauty of Switzerland’s lakes and mountain views and a must-visit in this 4 day Switzerland itinerary.
- Schynige Platte Railway: The Schynige Platte railway is one of the highest railways in Switzerland and is quite old at 115 years old. A ride in one of these rail cars offers stunning views of the mountains and valley below!
- Visit Lauterbrunnen: The best place you can venture to with 4 days in Switzerland is Lauterbrunnen. Which is easily one of the most beautiful places in Switzerland nestled in a U-Shape valley within the Swiss Alps. It is an amazing place to visit during every season with its huge mountain peaks, authentic old village, and captivating waterfalls it is a village like no other. The natural beauty of Lauterbrunnen is something you cannot miss!
- Journey to Grindelwald: Grindelwald is a nature lovers’ paradise and a must-visit with only 4 days in Switzerland. It is a bucket list place to visit with the huge mountains, a plethora of things to do, and stunning scenery.
Day 4: Geneva
Geneva can be reached by car from Interlaken in just 2 hours and the ride is beyond scenic. Upon arrival, you will be welcomed by a vibrant and lively city surrounded by the Swiss Alps. Geneva is a global hub for diplomacy and banking and a beautiful city to explore.
It is home to all things Swiss, like Fondue, chocolate, and many banks, but it is also a very cultural and interesting place to visit and explore. This is the perfect place to end your 4 days in Switzerland in a modern yet culture hotspot.
Things to do in Geneva
- Visit the Jet d’Eau: The Jet d’Eau is one of the most famous landmarks in Geneva. This impressive fountain shoots water 140 meters into the air and is visible from many parts of the city.
- Walk along the Geneva Lakefront: The Geneva Lakefront is a beautiful promenade that offers stunning views of Lake Geneva and the surrounding mountains. It’s a great place to take a walk, enjoy a picnic, or simply relax and enjoy the scenery.
- Explore the Old Town: Geneva’s Old Town is a charming area with narrow streets, historic buildings, and beautiful squares. It’s a great place to wander around, shop for souvenirs, and try some local food and drinks.
- Visit the Palace of Nations: The Palace of Nations is the home of the United Nations in Europe and is located in Geneva. Visitors can take a guided tour of the palace and learn about the history and work of the United Nations.
- Go shopping: Geneva is known for its luxury shopping, with high-end brands like Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and Cartier. The Rue du Rhone is a popular shopping street, and the city has several large shopping centers.
- Take a boat tour of Lake Geneva: A boat tour is a great way to explore Lake Geneva and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Several companies offer boat tours of varying lengths and styles.
- Try Swiss chocolate and cheese: Switzerland is famous for its chocolate and cheese, and Geneva has plenty of shops and restaurants where you can try some of the best Swiss food.
Where to stay in Switzerland
Use this booking.com map to guide where to stay in each city in Switzerland, starting with Zurich!
Best Time to Visit Switzerland
Like most travel destinations, the best time to visit Switzerland is completely subjective!
But, September is typically one of the best months to visit Switzerland for many reasons. Such that September still welcomes warm days with plenty of sun like the summer months, but with much fewer summer tourist crowds. You will also find all hikes still open and in great condition for exploring.
Getting travel insurance before you travel is a MUST. It’s the number one thing you should always pack before travelling that can save you a lot of money, time, and stress. With how crazy travel has gotten recently you need that peace of mind that no matter what happens there is something protecting you from losing out. I always travel with travel insurance and think everyone should.
I always travel with travel insurance and think everyone should. Below is my favorite travel insurer Safety Wings, enter your details to get a free quote!
Spending 4 days in Switzerland promises a whirlwind of an adventure. There is no better place to get to enjoy and experience old cities and stunning nature all within a few days. Use this 4-day guide to mold your Switzerland travels, and by the end of your stay, you will already be planning your visit back.
Like this post? Pin “4 Days in Switzerland” for later!